This Website Privacy Notice describes how Foley collects and uses Personal Data about you through the use of our Website, and through email, text, and other electronic communications between you and Foley.
Personal Data We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect different types of information about you, including information that may directly identify you, information that is about you but individually does not personally identify you, and information that we combine with our other users. This includes information that we collect directly from you or through automated collection technologies.
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website (“Personal Data”):
- by which you may be personally identified, such as name, e-mail address, company name, title, or any other information that you may provide in a message;
- that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as traffic data, location data, logs, referring/exit pages, date and time of your visit to our Website, error information, clickstream data, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website; and/or
- about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.
We collect this information:
- directly from you when you provide it to us;
- automatically as you navigate through the Website.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website are:
- information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of sending us an inquiry through our Contact Us page or subscribing to a blog;
- information you provide when you report a problem with our Website;
- records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us; and
- your search queries on the Website.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns:
- details of your visits to our Website as described above; and
- Information about your computer and internet connection, i.e. your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically includes Personal Data, or we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Data we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service by enabling us to:
- estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests;
- speed up your searches; and
- recognize you when you return to our Website.
How We Use Your Information
We use your Personal Data for various purposes described below, including to:
- provide our Website to you;
- provide you with information you request from us;
- notify you about changes to the Website; and
- for any other purpose with your consent.
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Data:
- to present our Website and its contents to you;
- to provide you with information about our services that you request from us, including legal updates;
- to notify you about changes to our Website;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to send us an inquiry about our services or any other question, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry;
- to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it; and
- for any other purpose with your consent.
With your consent, we may also use your Personal Data to contact you about events that may interest you, such as conferences, seminars, and other similar events. If you do not want us to use your Personal Data in this way, simply check the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data or contact us at the Contact Information below. For more information, please see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
Disclosure of Your Information
We do not share, sell, or otherwise disclose your Personal Data for purposes other than those outlined in this Website Privacy Notice. We disclose your Personal Data to a few third parties, including:
- our subsidiaries and our affiliates;
- our third-party service providers that we use to support our business;
- to another firm with who we merge, combine, or acquire, or in the event of change in structure of our firm of any form;
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to enforce our rights; and
- with your consent.
We do not share, sell, or otherwise disclose your Personal Data for purposes other than those outlined in this Website Privacy Notice. However, we may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
We may disclose Personal Data that we collect or you provide as described in this Website Privacy Notice:
- to our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- to contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business. These entities provide IT and infrastructure support services;
- to a potential or actual buyer or other successor in the event of a planned or actual merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Foley’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Foley about our Website’s users is among the assets transferred;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you provide your personal information to subscribe to a blog post, we will use that information to send you new blog posts;
- to enforce our rights;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; and
- with your consent.
We may also disclose your Personal Data:
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Foley, our customers, or others.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We offer you choices on how you can opt out of certain uses of your personal information, including to unsubscribe from our blogs.
We do not control the collection and use of your information collected by third parties described above in Disclosure of Your Information. When possible, these organizations are under contractual obligations to use this data only for providing the services to us and to maintain this information strictly confidential. These third parties may, however, aggregate the information they collect with information from their other customers for their own purposes.
In addition, we strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Data you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with control over your Personal Data:
- Blog Posts from Foley. We will only use your email address to send you blog posts when you provide it for this purpose. If we have sent you a legal update, you may click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email to be omitted from future email distributions.
Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Information
You may contact us at the Contact Information below to request access to, correct, or delete any Personal Data that we have collected about you. If you are subscribed to one or more of our legal updates, we cannot delete your Personal Data without also unsubscribing you from those legal updates. We may not accommodate a request to change your Personal Data if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Jurisdiction-Specific Privacy Rights
The law in certain jurisdictions may provide their residents or individuals located in those jurisdictions with additional rights regarding our use of your Personal Data.
The law in some jurisdictions may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of Personal Data. To learn more about any additional rights that may be applicable to you as a resident of one of these states, please see the privacy addendum for your state that is attached to this Website Privacy Notice.
For Individuals Located within the European Economic Area
If you are located in the European Economic Area, you have the additional rights described in our GDPR Website Privacy Addendum.
Your California Privacy Rights
You have the additional rights described in the California Website Privacy Addendum.
Do Not Track Signals
We may use automated data collection technologies to track you across websites. We currently do not honor do-not-track signals that may be sent by some browsers.
Our Website may use automated data collection technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking). Some web browsers or operating systems permit you to broadcast a signal to websites and online services indicating a preference that they “do not track” your online activities. At this time, we do not honor such signals and we do not modify what information we collect or how we use that information based upon whether such a signal is broadcast or received by us.
Children Under the Age of 18 or Under the Legal Age to Form a Binding Contract in Your Jurisdiction
Our Website is not intended for children under the age of 18 or under the legal age to form a contract in your jurisdiction, whichever is higher. Such children are not permitted to use our Website. We will remove any information about such a child if we become aware of it.
Our Website is not intended for children under 18 years of age or the legal age to form a binding contract in your jurisdiction, whichever is higher. No one under this age may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under this age. If you are under this age, do not use or provide any information on our Website or on or through any of its features or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Data from a child under this age without verification of parental consent, or as permitted by the Rules of Professional Conduct, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from a child under this age, please contact us at PrivacyOfficer@foley.com.
Information transmitted over the Internet is not completely secure, but we will take reasonable efforts to protect your Personal Data.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Data from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will take reasonable efforts to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Data transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of Personal Data is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Changes to Our Website Privacy Notice
We will post any changes to our Website Privacy Notice on our Website. If we make material changes to our Website Privacy Notice, we may notify you of such changes through your contact information and invite you to review (and accept, if necessary) the changes.
We may change this Website Privacy Notice at any time. It is our policy to post any changes we make to our Website Privacy Notice on this page. If we make material changes to how we treat our users’ Personal Data, we will notify you through a notice on the Website’s home page. The date this Website Privacy Notice was last revised is identified at the top of the page. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically visiting our Website and this Website Privacy Notice to check for any changes.
You may contact us through the contact information below. If you wish to contact us, you may contact us through the contact information below.
If you have any questions, concerns, complaints or suggestions regarding our Website Privacy Notice, have any requests related to your Personal Data pursuant to applicable laws, or otherwise need to contact us, you may contact us at the contact information below.
To Contact Foley
Foley & Lardner LLP
Attn: Office of the General Counsel/Privacy Officer
321 N. Clark Street, Suite 2800
Chicago, IL 60654